Simple Lemon Cake
If you're looking for an easy and delicious summer dessert, look no further than our Simple Lemon Cake. This cake is light, fluffy, and has a soft tart flavour, which is paired perfectly with the rich and creamy cream cheese icing. This cake is perfect for any occasion, especially a picnic or morning tea and it's sure to be enjoyed by everyone who tastes it.
For the cake
¾ cup caster sugar
½ tsp Seed + Stow Lemon Zest Powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 ½ cups plain flour
½ cup milk
1. Preheat your oven (top and bottom heat) to 180 degrees celsius.
2. Grease and line a 20cm round cake tin with baking paper.
3. In a mixing bowl, stir together the sugar and the Seed + Stow Lemon Zest Powder.
4. Add the butter and mix it with the sugar mixture on a high speed until light and fluffy, approximately 3+ minutes.
5. Add the eggs, one at a time and beat on a medium speed until fully mixed in. Add the vanilla extract and mix to combine.
6. Add the baking powder, baking soda and salt to the mixture with one third of the flour. Gently mix on a low speed.
7. Add half of the milk and glently mix. Continue alternating flour with the remaining milk, finishing with the last third of flour. Beat until the batter is smooth, but make sure you don’t overmix it.
8. Add the batter into the cake tin and smooth out. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden and springs back when lightly touched. Allow to cool before removing from the tin.
For the syrup
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tbsp caster sugar
1. In a small sauce pot, heat the lemon juice and caster sugar over a medium heat, until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture has become sticky.
2. Put your cake on your display plate and using a fork poke small holes all over the top of the cake.
3. Pour the syrup over the cake, allow it to soak into the holes. Let the cake cool completely.
For the icing
30g butter, room temperature
60g cream cheese, straight from the fridge
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
A small pinch of salt
1 tbsp lemon curd, optional
Seed + Stow Dried Lemon Slices
1. In a medium bowl, mix together the cream cheese and butter on a high speed until light and fluffy, approximately 3+ minutes.
2. Add the icing sugar, lemon juice, lemon curd and salt and beat on a high speed until combined, light and fluffy.
3. Spread over the cooled cake and around the sides. You should have enough to create a nice even thickness, which isn’t too thick.
4. Garnish with Seed + Stow Dried Lemon Slices.